Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sound Mapping

In my classroom, to teach the letters and sounds, we do something called sound mapping. It is a research-based way to teach the alphabet (letters/ sounds) and basic writing skills. 
Single Line Write & Wipe Board
I start each morning with 30 minutes of this. I have a class set of these whiteboards in my room from Lakeshore Learning. I LOVE them! They are perfect for the kids and just their size!

You can purchase these white boards here at Lakeshore:

This is the basic breakdown of how I teach sound mapping each day:

1.   Introduce new sound. Have students listen and try to repeat. Show children your mouth formation and talk about placement of teeth, tongue and lips. Use mirror if needed.
2.   Have students listen for the sound. Students will clap when they hear the sound. Say various alphabet sounds and the new sound mixed in. Remind students to look at your mouth formation to give them clues about the sound. This can also be done with words that begin with the sound.
3.   Show the students how to record the sound on the board. Make sure to focus on the starting point and then the direction of the correct formation. Have the students look at your letter on the board and trace it in the air with their pointer finger.
4.   Students will write the letter in the air, on the carpet, on each other’s backs, and on their hands. This is before the white boards come out. Ask the students many times while they are doing this what sound they are recording.
5.  Show the students several times on the board how to record the sound.
6.  Pass out white boards and have the students try to record the sound with markers. Walk around and assess the students, as they record the sound. Some students may need you to hold their hand with the marker and help them the first few times. Correct any errors you may see.
7.   After a few minutes of practice, erase the white board and tell the students that they now must do it from memory. Students will repeat the sound that they are recording as they record it on their white boards.
8.   Follow up with additional practice in small group.

I also created a poster for my classroom to teach basic writing skills. It's similar to CAPS which I'm sure many of you have heard of, but I felt it was more kinder-friendly. This year, my whole school has adopted the High Five Model and I'm working on a version for older grades as well!

I also have this hands-on poster that I made to go with it, that stays out all year long in my classroom. 
The pieces are velcro-ed on and as I introduce each piece of the high five, I add the new piece to the poster. I begin the year by stressing the "teacher" handwriting, which all goes back to the sound mapping. Sound mapping, after all, is creating a map in one's brain of the letter and the sound. If the students are using their "teacher" handwriting, they will create a better "map" in their brain. 

I have had great success with this in my classroom! I've been teaching letters and sounds this way for 3 years now and my students are becoming amazing writers!

Please go check out my new packets in my TpT store!








Go check out these and download my Winter Math Journal FREEBIE. 
All of these and more are located at my teacher store:



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute blog & ideas! Target actually had the little white boards in their dollar section this past fall for $1 for a pack of 8! I love Lakeshore but was tickled to get a class set plus extras for less than $3.

Unknown said...

...and I am now your newest follower! Visit me too? http://www.youngkindergarten.blogspot.com/

Jacque said...

Alisa,

I love your blog and have for awhile now. I decided to nominate it for the Liebster Blog Award. Please stop by my blog to pick it up. Congratulations!

Jacque

http://mommy-and-me-creations.blogspot.com/

Jacque said...

Alisa,

I love your blog and have for awhile now. I decided to nominate it for the Liebster Blog Award. Please stop by my blog to pick it up. Congratulations!

Jacque

http://mommy-and-me-creations.blogspot.com/

Planting a Kinder Garden... said...

Thanks ladies! I am now following all of your blogs! And thank you, Jacque, I'm so honored!

Post a Comment